Thursday, February 3, 2011

An Irish Funeral and other news

I don't think I have ever posted about Irish funerals. They are something else.

Unfortunately we had to attend one on Tuesday. I had mentioned here that there was bad news in Mike's family about two relatives. One was fine but we knew the other one would not have gotten any better. He had battled cancer for 8 years and eventually lost the fight. As Mike's family is from a small town in Ireland, relations are very close. In this case, I also had met the whole family (Mike's cousin) and got very attached to the children. The eldest daughter even stayed with us a couple of years ago during her transition year and has just started college in Dublin.
So when we got the news that the father had passed away I wanted to be there for them.

As always it was heartbreaking. This one of course was a closer relationship but I don't know how his teenager son managed to give a speech at the end of the ceremony which had everyone there in tears. Oliver slept most of the time and when he woke up for a feed it was a great distraction for the family and soothed the pain a little.

And somehow Oliver picked up a tummy bug the poor chicken so he's having loads of dirty nappies and is a bit unsettled. He's feeding well though so no concern about dehydration and no temperature which is good but the paediatrician (which I called to be on the safe side) gave me indication on how much paracetamol I should give him if the temperature rises a bit. Hopefully not. Apparently it can last a week or even longer, but I'm hoping he'll fight it off sooner!

I also bought myself a sling!! I got the Hoppendiz second hand one and already wearing it loads!! It's fantastic!! So next week I'm definitely getting the Calin Bleu one and I'll post pics soon!

5 comments:

Kakunaa said...

I'm so sorry for the grief :( You must describe one sometime, though, when it's not so fresh.

Sorry Elvis has a bug :(

HUGS.

Adele said...

Ach, that's so very sad. But it's lovely that his son was able to eulogize him. A friend just went through something similar and it meant a lot to him that he was able to get the words out.

And I hope Oliver is better SOON!

TwoDogMama said...

I'm so sorry to read about the funeral, but I am glad Oliver was able to be a nice distraction. Give him a big hug from me and I hope he is feeling better soon. He is darling.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the passing of Mike's cousin. His poor children. I'm sure it was good for everyone to have Oliver there. It's the cycle of life, and babies are such a beautiful symbol of that.

Take care of that sweet little boy and I hope he's over his tummy bug soon. Love and hugs to you.

Chelle said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. It doesn't matter if it is someone you were close to, there is a sadness there for everyone who was close to the person. You know what a void it can leave, and that makes any heart hurt.

I hope Oliver gets to feeling better soon. It is no fun when your baby is sick.

*hugs*