Saturday, April 20, 2013

39 weeks and the last belly pic!

Wow things are happening. Yesterday OB visit was good in so far as placenta, baby size, heartbeat, blood-flow in the cord, fluids etc. Then the internal check verdict was that my cervix has no intention of cooperating and is shut, long and posterior. Thanks cervix! So we have a scheduled c-section for....drum roll please....tuesday!! I'll go in early in the morning and then depending on emergencies and theatre availability I'll meet Phoenix sometime during the day... I'm excited, a bit worried about Oliver's reaction, sad that these are my very last days of ever being pregnant (at least I enjoyed it this time!) and happy it's not looking like there's going to be a panic like we had when Oliver arrived. I just took what I think it's going to be the last belly pic ever...


In keep with our style, we have no name selected, we think we are going to use Phoenix as a third name like we used Elvis for Oliver (surely Phoenix is suitable for both boys and girls, right?) and I have no idea as to whether it's going to be a boy or a girl. It'll be a total surprise!
My mam is arriving in a few hours, it will be lovely to have her over and I have no doubt she will be great help. 
Oliver has started waking up quite early in the morning recently (say before 6am) and then shows up to our bed and comes in for a cuddle...if we are lucky he sleeps a bit more, but normally not. For the last few nights he also woke up crying around 1am. I'm not sure what to think other than he's sensing something is going on and he is a bit distressed by it. We got presents "from the baby" to him, apparently there are mixed feelings out there as to what is the best thing to do to try and minimise the jealousy...some say it's the bigger child who should have a present for the baby not the other way around. We'll have a present from Oliver to baby too just to be on the safe side...but to be honest I think it will make very little difference. At the moment Oliver is very fascinated by babies and loves watching youtube clips, but when we will have one here to stay I'm not sure he'll be so happy!

In any case, I hope I will be able to update on tuesday or at least Mike may do it, positive thoughts that all will be well are much appreciated!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my dear friend!! I am so excited for you!! My thoughts are certainly going to be with you and your family! I'm sure Oliver will go through a period of adjustment, but it will all work out in the end!!! Big, big hugs to you!!

Michele said...

Oh Fran,I'm just so happy for you! Your belly looks awesome! :) On Tuesday, I'll light a special candle for you and Phoenix, and I just cannot wait to hear all about it!

Big hugs :)

Alex said...

So excited for you!!! I'll be thinking of you and Phoenix! I'm so happy that you've had a good long pregnancy!!! And you look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Oh...I wish I were there to give that beautiful belly a rub! I wish you a beautiful and safe delivery of your precious Phoenix. I can't wait to see pictures! You know, Oliver will do just fine with the baby. Some days will be eaiser than others, but I know he will LOVE his new little brother/sister. I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday. Hugs to you all.

tireegal68 said...

Wow, my dear friend!!! Amazing! I for some reason thought Phoenix was a boy! This is going to be interesting. It must be bittersweet thinking this is your last pregnancy and also being excited to meet Phoenix! Your belly looks great! You know, you can always post a belly pic, it just won't be a pregnant belly pic! LOL! Couldn't resist that!
I hope all goes smoothly. Yes, in the British Islesyou have to be patient with scheduled surgery and move out of the way for emergencies, don't you?! Hope you don't have to wait too long! Can't wait to meet your new little one! I hope Oliver adjusts ok. He will probably have big feelings about it. Let him know its ok to express them and that you understand it's hard. Also let him know that this is how things are now, and he will get used to things. Bit make sure he knows its fine to have mixed feelings. That way he won't feel ashamed of his ambivalence and won't get stuck in his anger. Try to schedule one onone time with him away from the baby and get him involved in helping you care for the baby too so he feels important and needed. Yes, I've read a lot about it, bit so far it's all theoretical! Sorry for the lecture! Was just trying to help!

Mina said...

I can't believe how time flew... Tuesday. Big day. Will be thinking of you and sending you the best thoughts and wishes.
Dn't worry about Oliver, he will be just fine. Children adapt loads easier than adults, even though they are so fond of rituals and predictability. George really was very unimpressed by the gifts from the baby, he got a bike and he still is not very impressed by it. :-) But he loved, loved, loved cuddling the baby and even more, getting to use the baby's stuff, like co-sleeper, bouncy seat, the bassinet, and so on. :-)

Heather said...

I'll be thinking of you! Can't wait to find out what you are having. :-)))

lostintranslation said...

Wow indeed! So exciting! Enjoy your last day of pregnancy. Don't worry too much about Oliver. We had a present from the baby for his big brother (a play kitchen) but when we were assembling it the neighbour came by and after that the toddler thought he had gotten it from her instead! ;) Ours had some issues in the beginning with not wanting to go to sleep (the baby slept in our room, so he wanted to be there too), and as Mina said, using everything that was intended for the baby.
Wishing you an uneventful delivery of a healthy Phoenix! Can't wait to read the update. Lots of love from France.

Flower said...

OMG...I am so excited!!!!

St Elsewhere said...

It must be the final countdown already....

All the very best to you!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you and Praying for you and like Michele (I found you from her blog) we will light a candle for all of you.

Anonymous said...

I am on the edge of my seat over here waiting!!! I was hoping to find a post, some news...maybe even a newborn baby picture! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you bring your little one into the world.