Sunday, May 10, 2015

The more I waited...

...the more difficult it was to start blogging again.

So if you are still out there occasionally checking on me, I will give you a brief bullet point update of the last while.


  • Work: I had been invited to the UK to give a talk at a particular university. Following the talk, I have been strongly invited to submit an application for a top ranked position at said university. I did. I got an email yesterday saying that as the process is slow, would I go back before i leave for the US to meet other senior management staff to look for possible interactions etc? This is a major opportunity but I am torn as to whether we should really consider moving or not. Some decisions will have to be made soon.
  • Davis: three weeks to go! Both Mike and I will engineer some travelling (work related) while in the US, it's a unique opportunity to strengthen our cv. So Mike will fly across to Wisconsin, while I will go to North Carolina and Boston for a few days. It's practically the same distance as it would be flying from Europe, but somehow it seems less of a problem when you are already there!
  • Family: Oliver spent two weeks in Italy with my parents, I had been invited to give a talk in Trieste, so I flew home with him on a saturday night and flew back on my own on the tuesday. He had a great time and my parents brought him back yesterday. There is a bit of "deprogramming" to do as always, but it's not that bad at all thankfully. Martina meanwhile enjoyed some only child time with mamma and daddy and we had the amazing experience of only having to settle one for the night! What a bliss!!
I hope you are all doing well, I'll try and get back to blogging again. Hugs to all.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I wondered where you went! Sounds like you might have some career decisions to make soon. Kinda exciting! I wish you were going to be closer while you are in the US. Enjoy checking out different parts of the country while you are here. Wisconsin is so nice in the summer. Perfect weather.

Valery said...

My reader (feedly) always lets me know when you post! That is a whole lot of organising. At the moment I find it hard enough to wrap my head around the one job that I'm leaving, and almost impossible to focus on other opportunities, even when one is tugging my arm.
Good luck, and yay for bullet points! (and I truly hope all this looking forward makes you too busy for unhealthy thoughts)

dubliner in Deutschland said...

congratulations on the job offer! And good luck making the decision about whether to go for it or not.

Momasita said...

So glad to read your update! The opportunity in the UK sounds amazing; you have some tough decisions to make, but I know you'll make the right decision for you and your family.

St Elsewhere said...

Wow....you do have huge decisions to make. I hope you enjoy your US trip!

And I now appreciate how easy it is to manage just 1 kid, rather than two.